FOR ALL MENTAL HEALTH PROVIDERS:
The E4 Center of Excellence for Behavioral Health Disparities in Aging, in partnership with CATCH-ON, the Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program based at Rush, and the Rush Center for Excellence in Aging has developed a 14 hour self-paced online educational program that provides basic knowledge that every mental health clinician needs to work effectively with older adults. Completion certificates are sponsored by the Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs.
Learn more HERE.
The American Psychological Association offers a variety of educational resources related to aging and Geropsychology. You can find the following specific resources on the APA sites below. To find resources specifically related to Geropsychology, use the search option using key words, e.g. dementia, aging, caregiver, etc.
Some aging related online course offerings from APA:
- What Every Psychologist Should Know About Working With Older Adults
- Assessment of Mental and Behavioral Health Across the Life Span in Primary Care Settings
- Culturally Sensitive Health Promotion and Health Care Approaches for Eliminating Health Disparities
- Geriatric Mental Health Workforce—Current Initiatives and Critical Issues
- Grief Therapy and the Reconstruction of Meaning
- Integrated Approaches to Geriatric Health Care
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Depressed Older Adults
- Long-Term Effects of Psychotropic Medications in Vulnerable Populations—Antidepressants, Antiepileptics, and Hormones
- Process of Recognition of Specialties and Proficiencies and Its Implications for Your Practice—With Reactions From Clinical Neuropsychology, Professional Geropsychology, Personality Assessment
- Spirituality, Health, and Well-Being in Later Life—Pitfalls and Promises
- Additional aging offerings through APA Continuing Education
Council of Professional Geropsychology Training Programs maintains a list of geriatric mental health web-based training options
The following vendors offer APA approved continuing education courses, including courses related to Geropsychology and aging issues. Specific courses titles offered at these sites may change over time.
- Abed Continuing Ed
- Audio-Digest Foundation
- Concept Healthcare (NOTE – Members of APA Division 12/II who take an online course or to register for a live seminar will receive a 25% discount on check out. Get more information.)
- Continuing Education Central
- Health Forum Online (NOTE – Members of APA Division 12/II who take an online course will receive a 30% discount on check out. Get more information.)
- Professional Psych Seminars
- Professional Development Resources
- Zur Institute
Free online training:
- Caring for a Person with Memory Loss Conference at the University of Minnesota School of Nursing
- “Doing the Best We Can”: An Overview of Online & Clinical Resources for Care Providers of Families Struggle with Dementia at the University of Minnesota School of Nursing
- Gerontological Society of America Webinar Archive
- American Society on Aging Webinars (some free; some pay for CE)
- AARP Health Webinars
FOR SOCIAL WORKERS: